Yo! My Baby LOVES Yogurt!


...and I can perfectly understand why. I buy Fage yogurt. It's a Greek yogurt. (pr. Fah-yeh) This stuff rocks. Smooth and creamy but thick like sour cream, it has a nice tartness about it. I've used it on baked potatoes in place of sour cream and especially love it with honey - Greek style. Our infant wolfs it down so much that I decided to make my own to save on the $5 per quart price tag. It takes a while but it is worth the wait if you are going to be going through a ton of it.
You'll need:
1 Gallon of whole milk
1 heaping tablespoon of Fage as a starter culture.
1 Tablespoon sugar - consider it food for the culture

In a 2 gallon soup pot, bring the milk just to the edge of a simmer. (Do NOT boil.) Remove from the heat and let stand until the temp reaches 115 degrees.
In a bowl, mix the tablespoon of yogurt with a cup of the hot milk a little at a time. Then stir that mixture back into the soup pot of milk. Give it a stir.
Take a clean kitchen towel or flour sack towel and put it across the top as a cover. This prevents a skin from forming while it is setting.
Put the entire pot in an oven set on the very lowest setting and maintain the 115 degree temp in the pot for 6-8 hours. (I did mine over night.) Your oven can be tricky and getting the setting just right may take a bit of practice.
Remove from the oven and place into a refrigerator until completely cool. After it cools, it's actually ready to go - but I like to take it a step further to make it super thick. I bought a fine mesh strainer and strain it in batches in the refrigerator. The water (whey) can be discarded once it is strained out. I'll even put a piece of parchment and a dish on to to add a little pressure. It can be a long process but the result is super thick heaven at a price that makes sense.