Processors Head to Head.






For a chef, the food processor is like another limb. We need this thing to function. Over the years, I've used them all. Big. Small. Busted. Brandy spanking new. But for the home and for preparing smooth and small quantities, I didn't need the turbo robo uber coupe. I needed tiny. I found two.
Waring and Kitchen Aid pretty much make the same thing. A scaled down food processor with a bowl good for two cups of material and a couple attachments for shredding and slicing. For about $100, you're pretty set for a light duty kitchen and uncomplicated menu. Just don't try to julienne your fries. Remember. Light duty.
My wife then introduced me to the Babycook for $150. It's a combination steamer and processor. It's as if my espresso machine and food processor had an illegitimate light green spawn one summer night. A bit of water, add your food to be cooked and let it steam. Then in the same bowl, whip it up with the blade! Good idea if I'm only cooking for the young son but I'm a Chef - I cook for numbers. The bowl and blade are reasonable quality and break down quickly for cleaning.
For the $50 savings, I'm sticking with the basic food processor. It will take me years down the road for utility's sake. As for the Babycook - good for apartment dwellers who need to sandbag baby food in the freezer.